NYS DIVISION OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY RENEWAL WEATHERIZATION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM DHCR # 29 WEATHERIZATION PROGRAM INFORMATION
The Weatherization Assistance Program administered by the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal is committed to reducing heating costs for low-income families, particularly the elderly, people with disabilities, and children by improving the energy efficiency of their homes and ensuring their health and safety.
The program is funded annually by the U.S. Department of Energy. In addition, the program also receives funds from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Application for assistance under the program is made to a local service provider which is under contract to the Division of Housing and Community Renewal.
After approval of the application the local service provider will conduct a comprehensive professional building analysis of the applicant’s home, and based on that analysis and the funds available, will install or cause to have installed, weatherization measures in the applicant’s home which have been determined to be the most cost-effective in reducing the applicant’s energy consumption and increasing comfort.
The measures which may be indicated by the building analysis fall into five major categories:
- Heating efficiency measures: These measures are designed to improve the operation of the system which delivers heat to the dwelling unit and may include a cleaning and tuning of the furnace or boiler, repairs, modifications and replacements, as needed. Also included in this category is work on the distribution system which brings heat to the unit.
- Infiltration measures: These are measures designed to keep warm air in and cold air out.
- Conduction measures: These are insulation measures designed to reduce the conduction of heat from the interior to the exterior of the unit.
- Repairs: This category includes any repairs that may be needed to preserve or protect the weatherization materials installed.
- Health and Safety: These are measures designed to reduce health and safety hazards or to notify residents of their presence.